Finding employment is a daunting task for anyone, but when you’re homeless it’s an even bigger challenge. Without access to telephones, a mailing address and transportation assistance, a job search is impossible. Additionally, without a shower, clean clothes and a full stomach, a successful job interview is unlikely.
CareerWorks provides all the resources a homeless person needs to plan and carry out a successful job search. All participants are held accountable for meeting regularly with their employment counselor, attending workshops and actively searching for employment.
The result – 70% percent of our VIPs find employment and 75% retain employment after 180 days!
The employment readiness program provides the basic necessities to more comprehensive services that help our VIPs (Visionary Innovative Partners) develop skills to become gainfully employed. Our services include:
Hours of Operation: Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Employment counseling
- Case management
- Job skills training
- Life skills workshops
- Access to telephones, fax machine and mailing address
- Job placement opportunities
- Clothing closet
- Daily breakfast and lunch
- Storage space
- Large computer lab
- Transportation assistance
- Assistance in finding low-income housing
- Information about, and referrals to, other service agencies
For those who have found work, our services are crucial in helping them keep their jobs and find permanent housing. Program graduates can shower each morning, wash their laundry, receive MARTA cards, find clothing-appropriate for work and use our resources to locate affordable housing. Below are a range of jobs our graduates hold:
- Cook, Marriott Food Service
- Courtesy Clerk, Kroger
- Salesperson, J.C. Penney
- Veterinary Technician, Smyrna Animal Hospital Production Coordinator, Network Communications
- Account Representative, AT&T
- Tax Examiner, IRS
- Security Officer, ADF Security
- Truck Driver, J.B. Hunt
- Job and Substance Abuse Counselor